Baking Process Kill Step Calculators
Test the effectiveness of your food safety controls!
Need validation of your Salmonella kill step process? AIB’s Baking Process Kill Step Calculators help you evaluate the lethality of your process in a variety of products. This interactive tool takes recorded time and temperature readings and calculates the total process lethality (e.g., 5 log) for Salmonella. The generated report can then be used as supporting documentation for FSMA’s validation and verification process.
AIB International collaborated with the American Bakers Association and its Food Technical and Regulatory Affairs Committee, with researchers at Kansas State University and University of Georgia to create the Baking Process Kill Step Calculators.
There are a number of ways you can benefit from these calculators, including:
- Increased food safety assurance
- Compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act’s regulation for hazard analysis and preventive controls
- Avoid conducting foundational research, costing upwards of $50k per product
Download Your Calculator
If you’re ready to begin your evaluation, first read the procedures for recording temperatures and download the appropriate product/pathogen calculator for your bakery. Then, simply enter your time and temperature data into the calculator for your results.
To use the Kill Step Calculator, you’ll first need Microsoft Excel and a data logger. We have also prepared a number of helpful resources. There are the general instructions for using the calculators and then each calculator has its own unique procedures for recording temperatures in a commercial oven. These are listed above next to the calculator download link.
Webinar: The Data Transfer Process Webinar: Application & Interpretation
Kill Step Calculator Research
- Hamburger Bun Research published in Journal of Food Protection v.79 n.4 April 2016 – open access download
- Muffin Research published in International Journal of Food Microbiology June 2017 - open access download