Applied Baking Technology
A comprehensive, self-paced introduction to the science of baking.
Are you a line worker, apprentice baker, or new member of bakery management? Want to learn more about your job, but can’t spare the time for the Science of Baking course? Applied Baking Technology was designed for you.
You will gain a basic understanding of the technology and science of baking and learn more about a wide range of bakery products, including hearth breads, rolls, bagels, tortillas, sweet goods, and much more. For a detailed list, you can preview the Applied Baking Technology's Table of Contents.
Who will benefit from the Applied Baking Technology course?
This entry-level course is broad-based, to provide a solid foundation to anyone within the baking industry, whether production workers, line leads and techs, or entry-level quality employees. Large wholesale bakeries, in-store bakeries, and commissary suppliers will find this an invaluable tool for training their up-and-coming staff members.
After this course, you’ll know how to:
- Identify the basic function of ingredients, including their effects and purposes in bread, cake, and other sweet goods production
- Recognize key pieces of equipment used in baking processes and understand their role in the process
- Differentiate between baker’s percent and true percent
- Summarize formulation, common equipment, and processing used in the baking industry to produce breads, rolls, bagels, cakes, muffins, Danish, croissants, puff pastry, doughnuts, cookies, and frozen dough
- Describe the importance of food safety and key components of a food safety program
- The Baking Industry
- Mathematics for the Baker
- Mixing and Fermentation Systems
- Dough Processing
- White Pan Bread
- Variety Breads
- Hearth Breads
- Hard and Soft Rolls, Bagels
- Tortillas, Pizzas, and Flat Breads
- Cake Baking I
- Cake Baking II
- Muffins and Biscuits
- Danish, Puff Pastries, and Croissants
- Sweet Dough
- Frozen Dough Production
- Hygiene – Food Sanitation and Safety
- Illustrations to make topics easy to understand and remember
- Review questions keyed with lesson references
- Self-check quizzes prior to each exam
- Printed lessons to serve as a post-course reference.
Enrollments are accepted any time. Lesson material and exams are accessed online using a computer. Access instructions will be e-mailed upon enrollment. Complete the course at your own pace. To receive a document of completion, students must submit an exam for each lesson and receive a 70% or above.
Time allowed to complete the course: 3 years
18 lessons, 14.4 CEUs
- Enroll by calling your local office.
- Enroll online by adding to cart below.
Taxes will be added to stated fees as applicable.
- E-mail account (must be individual)